Tuesday, May 18, 2010

10 Tips for Being Fashionable on a Budget



YES! It truly is possible to be fashionable without breaking the bank. I used to be a spend-a-holic, but parenthood has taught me to shop more wisely. Here are my top 10 ways you too can be fashionable on a budget!




1. DO shop in stores! I know there are great deals online, but I've noticed for department stores and especially stores like Target and Wal-Mart, you can find GREAT deals in the store. (Recently I bought a shirt at Wal-Mart from the $3.00 rack and saw it on their website the next day for $8.00!)


2. Sign up for SALE alerts! There are great sites like shopittome.com and shopstyle.com that let you pick the brands/stores you like, your size and price preferences and they'll send you e-mails with clothes, shoes and accessories within your specified price range. I set mine to $20.00!

3. Shop RESALE stores! Resale and thrift stores have become quite popular lately, and I love thrift shopping!  You won't always  find things that you like, but I recommend checking weekly. It's a great way to get some alone time and shop! Resale stores are wonderful because you can also sell your old and lightly worn clothes! (My local Salvation Army Stores does 50% off clothes/purses every Wednesday...check yours!)

4. Sign up for your favorite stores' newsletter/mailing list, you'll get e-mails to let you know when things go on sale, or their having any type of promotions. Most stores will often send you coupons as well!

5. Organize a clothing SWAP! Encourage your friends/coworkers to gather their lightly used clothes and get together for a swap party. You'll all hopefully find something new and not spend a penny!

6. DISCOUNT stores are great also! Shop places like TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Ross for brand names at lower prices. Some things are still a bit pricey, so take your time and look around...you're sure to find something you like!

7. Do a double-take on your laundry routine. I was always lazy in terms of separating and washing clothes but I've noticed that since I created a routine and began paying attention to how my clothes needed to be washed, they are looking nice for longer. Nothing is worse than trying to combine an outfit of worn out and faded clothes!

8. Know what looks good on YOU! Trends in fashion come and go, so don't feel the need to hop on every bandwagon that rolls through. Always dress in clothing that flatters you and if the current 'it' item doesn't...don't waste your time or money.

9. Buy things LATE....or ahead of time (depending on how you look at it). Post-season sales are an awesome way to get great prices! You'll be getting things you can use for next year, or maybe an unusually warm Fall day. :)

10. My favorite tip of all! Find a TAILOR! Don't be afraid to buy something that you like even if it's a bit big,
getting something altered is inexpensive and definitely worth it if you find something for an unbeatable price.













I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Gap Outlet blogging program to be eligible to win a $20 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

8 comments:

Alexia said...

Thanks for these. :)

Liz Mays said...

I have had terrific luck with the second hand and thrift stores. Sometimes brand new items with tags can be found!

Anonymous said...

I've never thought to have a swap party, what a good idea!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm here from Follow Me Back Tuesday! I'm your newest blog follower..thanks so very much for linking up!

Thanks for the great tips!

http://boobiesbabiesblog.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi Lua! I am hopping over from Follow Me Back Tuesday. I have enjoyed peeking around your blog. I am now following you; and will be stopping back by here soon. (c:

Unknown said...

Great tips...I totally follow ALL of those!

joeandbridge said...

Hi! I'm popping in from Follow Me Back Tuesday. I'm your newest follower! Hope you can swing by my blog! Have a great day!

Bridgette
Groschen Goblins
www.groschengoblins.com

K. Rock said...

#7 is definitely my issue. I feel like if I wash everything in cold water it will be fine. I need to take better care of my stuff. Great tips!

Post a Comment

I love comments!