10 tips for weaving the hottest runway trends into your day-to-day looks!
Of course we'd all love to walk through our daily lives as stylish as the runway models! The truth is you can, and you don't have to spend a fortune. Incorporating these tips can help you bring some high fashion to your daily style.
- Re-fashion: Try layering, or having something altered. You don't have to give up on an item...just try it a different way.
- Accessorize: Add accessories to your wardrobe. You don't have to go overboard, (I'm not a huge accessorizer myself) just be simple! Find stylish pieces that you can coordinate with many outfits. Try adding a belt with a tunic top for a little flair or a long necklace with a sweater-dress in the Fall/Winter.
- Find Inspiration: I have a 'subscription' to each of my favorite stores' catalogs. I rarely order from them, but rather use them to get outfit ideas. See 'what goes with what' and how you can combine and coordinate yourself.
- Share and Share-Alike: Does your girlfriend have a top you absolutely love? Maybe you have a pair of jeans that look better on her! (C'mon...be honest you know they do.) Swap! Trade! It may not be 'new' but as my dad used to say "it's new to you!" Oh, and guess what else? Totally FREE :)
- Social Media: Follow your favorite stores on Twitter or 'Like' them on Facebook. You'll be alerted when there's a sale as well as get exclusive deals and sometimes even contests!
- Realistic Fashion Icons: Dressing for your body type is important. If you want to mimic celebrity fashion, find a celeb with your body type and see how they dress. Celebrities have so many people styling them, you're sure to get some great ideas. (Lady Gaga doesn't count.)
- Classic: If all else fails...go classic. Look at fashion trends from the 50's, 60's, 70's and see what strikes you. It's really more about learning new combinations.
- "LBD": Ah yes, the little black dress is the absolute fashion staple. It is appropriate in both high-fashion and semi-formal situations as a beautiful classic piece. Use your accessories to accentuate...especially with a black dress try red heels!
- Go 'Vintage' in your own closet: Dig through your closet for things you no longer wear. Try them on again and play dress-up for a while! Combine them with newer things in your wardrobe and you may be pleasantly surprised.
- Shop Clearance: Everywhere I go, I shop the clearance rack FIRST! You would be surprised and the gems you find if you shop clearance. Some things may be out of season but in that case you're shopping ahead of time!
Do you already do these things in your daily life? What other tips would you add? Tell me in the comments!